DISCLAIMER: This contest is a game, plain and simple. By picking names, we are not wishing death upon anyone, nor are we trying to make light of people dying. Death is a natural event, and beyond anyone’s control. We however deal with this event by laughing rather than crying. How you choose to deal with your emotions is your business just don’t bitch about how we deal with our or how our listeners deal with them.
- A celebrity is defined as a person who lives their life in the public domain, such as a sportsman, entertainer, author, scientist etc.
- “Characters” (i.e., Bart Simpson, Brian Griffin, etc.) are not considered celebrities and are not eligible as picks.
- Picks consisting of multiple people, i.e. Nickleback, are not permitted. Any person submitting an entry that consists of an entity formed by multiple individuals shall have the pick voided without possibility of replacement.
- Anyone who provides selections of non-celebrity names will be penalized at the discretion of the hosts of PTR Radio by applying one of the following penalties:
- Having that pick removed from their list and being allowed to be replaced
- Having that pick removed from their list and NOT allowing a replacement
- Disqualifying the participant from the contest
- Death Row prisoners and “winners” in “right-to-die” court cases are not allowed. Picks of this nature will have penalties applied as described in section 1.3.i-iii.
Murdering one of your picks will result in immediate disqualification.
If a participant’s pick is declared legally dead, but is brought back to life, no points will be awarded.
Points will be awarded as follows:
- Picks that are killed via government sanctioned actions will not be awarded any points. If it can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the pick died of natural causes, points will be awarded.
BONUS POINTS: Points will be added to a participant’s total based on order of deaths calculated as follows:
- 126 – (Age of deceased) = Points awarded. Ex: A celebrity dies at age 67. The participant would be awarded 59 points.
- Why is it 126? Well that’s because that is the oldest verifiable recorded age of a person that we could find. If by chance your pick sets a new world record by dying and being older than 126 then you get 50 points.
- If the deceased was only picked by one participant (aka “a unique pick”), the calculated point total will be increased by 1 point.
- If a pick dies during 2017, but the death is not confirmed or announced until AFTER 12/31/2017, NO POINTS WILL BE AWARDED.
FIRST STRIKE BONUS: The first death that results in scoring among the participants will be awarded 5 bonus points.
- Total number of deaths = maximum number of points (Ex: If 8 picks out of all the contestants entries pass away, then the maximum number of bonus points would be 8)
- First entry whose pick died would get, using example above, 8 points. Second entry whose pick died would get 7 points, and so on, and so forth.
- Points will be awarded at full value if there are multiple participants who have picked a celebrity. : If three people pick a celebrity worth 4 bonus points, all three are awarded 4 points.
BUZZER BEATER BONUS: The final death occurring in 2018 that results in points being awarded will give a bonus equal to the numeric value of the calendar month in which the death occurred.
- This is in addition to any bonus points awarded per section 6 of the rules.
- If multiple people have picked the First Strike, the 5 bonus points will be divided equally among them to 2 decimal places.
REFERRAL BONUS: Every person that a listener gets to participate using their unique referral code in the 2018 Death Pool will earn that listener 1 additional point to be added to their final score.
- If multiple people have picked the Buzzer Beater, the bonus points will be divided equally among them to 2 decimal places.
In the event that there is a tie at the end of 2017, the following will be used as tie-breakers in order:
- Referral points will only be awarded if entry is done using their unique link containing their referral code.
- There is a (12) point limit on the number of referral bonus points.
Prizes at time of writing will be as follows, and are subject to change at the discretion of the hosts of PTR Radio:
- Winner of the “First Strike” point. Example: Player 1 and Player 2 are tied. Player 1’s first points were awarded on 2/14, Player 2’s first points were awarded on 6/5. Player 1 would be the winner.
- Date of second point awarded. See previous example.
- Date for third point awarded.
- Date for fourth point awarded.
- Date of fifth point awarded.
- Whichever contestant submitted their picks first would be the winner.
Entries for the 2018 Pool close on January 1st, 2018 at 12AM Central Standard Time.
- Grand prize will be a famous and glorious “PTR Box of Random Awesomeness”
- “First Strike” prize will be a random item furnished by one of PTR Radio’s sponsors
- Prizes must be claimed within 30 days of notification, otherwise prize will be forfeited and added to next awarded “PTR Box of Random Awesomeness”.
It should be noted that eligibility, scoring, and prize awarding are purely at the discretion of the PTR Radio hosts. All decisions by the hosts are made in good faith and are considered final. Begging, bitching, complaining or otherwise irritating the hosts of PTR will not help any dispute and MAY force a decision opposite to your liking.